Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I hate pollen!

So I was really enjoying the spring weather - the nice sunshine, the pretty trees and flowering trees, the sweet smell, sleeping with the window open, airing out my house..............

And then reality sunk in. My car is now covered in pollen and I am sneezing, coughing, have a sore throat and miserable with allergies.....the charisma of the season made me forget why i DONT sleep with the windows open....because i become a giant mucus bucket....sorry for the descriptive language. So, I am probaly the onlyperson in the gorgeous weather who has her air conditioner on..i know, im a loser.

i watched American Idol last night for the first time in ages and it got me thinking about songs.
Now we all know my favorite song is the "Thong song"....not because it has any special meaning but becuase it is catching and has a good beat. As as matter of fact, it is one of the stupidest songs ever written.
We all have "favorite" songs....However, it got me thinking about songs that have special meaning to me and have impacted my life...These are the songs that get you in the gut when you hear hem...They are not neccesarily my favorite songs (although some are), but whenever i hear them, they either bring back memories or i think they are just powerful songs....so, here is my list of "Thais's most meaningful/impactful songs"...Part 1 ----ill do this in 2-3 parts, because i havent come up with all of them yet!

Thais's most impactful/Meaningful songs
1. "Not Ready to Make Nice" - By the Dixie Chicks.
I was a fan of the Dixie Chicks WAY before the controversy and this song, although this song cemented my love for them. I actaully cried at the concert at MSG when they played this song. As a matter of fact, this song is not neccesarily my favorite Dixie songs - That would be "Cowboy Take me away." However, when ever this song plays, i feel my heart start to beat, my adrenaline start to go and suddenly i have this overwelming urge to go to a peace rally and burn my bra or something like that. To me, this song is like a musical defense of the First Amendment . In a time where my views were VERY UNPOPULAR (how people change their tune..hmmm), it was nice to hear that i was not the only one who thought the world had gone absolutly mad. In my liberal, somewhat convoluted mind, I could imagine this song being played during the American Revolution if country-rock-chick music had been popular back then. (yes i know - im being a bit histrionic)....Even if you dont like the Chicks, you have to admit they make great music! (note: close second "political" dixie song - "Truth #2")

2. "Icky Thump" - The White Stripe
Whereas #1 song makes me want to burn my bra, this song make me want to bang the hell out of a drum set and scream. If I were to describe this song, I would call it "primevil rock." It makes me want to dance around like an idiot when this song comes on the radio. It is rock at the rawest and roughist....and I still think Jack White is a genious. In 20 years when i look back and try to define to my great nieces and nephews (no grandkids for me) what was "rock" in 2008, "Icky Thump" would come to my mind....the 1960's and 1970s had the beatles, rolling stones and led zepplin....we have White Stripes and Icky Thump.

3. "Do What You Have To Do" - Sarah McLachlan
Yes, of course I love the requisite Sarah songs such as "angel" and "adia" and "I will remember you"....However, TRUE sarah fans recognize her greater body of work which includes songs such as the afore mentions. I remember listening to this song whenever i was going through a period in my life where i needed depressing angry-chick-esk music to pout to. Its a great break up song and is the song i play most often when feeling either sad or when Im really cranky and feelig like a matyr. Its a beautiful melody...Plus, SArah Mclachlan writes the most profound lyrics. The first line of this song is:
"What ravages of spirit
conjured this temptuous rage"
Who writes songs (lately) with words like "temptuous" in it...as i recall, America was recently obsessed with a song thats great lyrical poetry included the phrase "my humps, my humps , my lovely lady lumps".

Ok, Im done writing to my next blog-time for dessert and some sleep---I will continue my list next time!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok don't agree on The Chicks but I will give you the Sarah song.....that is my all time number one favorite Sarah song!!!!! :)

Oh and to the day I die I will never forget you and Chris dancing to the Thong Song at my wedding.....that is truly a memory etched in stone ;)

Merry (couldn't get my google sign on to work.....ugh)