Thursday, July 31, 2008

missing the old

So I have never ever liked change...as a matter of fact, i usually turn into a major bitch when change occurs....ok, i understand i am ALWAYS a major bitch, but lets just say it gets magnified.

So my non-descript hospital finally moved out of its dated facilities into a state-of-the-art facility 2 weeks ago. At first it was exciting, as all new things are....now i havent gotten lunch in 2 weeks, i dont feel safe and every meeting i go to has at least one person throwing a temper tantrum or fighting (and it has only been me once!)

I never thought i would miss the random weeds growing into my office window (office flora) or the rusty pipe leaking out of an open ceiling onto a bucket on my desk (it was my water feature---how many people have offices with a water feature !?)

I never thought I would miss passing random abandon building crumbling from abandonment

I never thought I would miss having to hold my breathe to go into a closet because there is asbestos in it (i know, like holding my breath is REALLY going to help)

I never thought I would miss bitching about the scorching heat (near 100 degrees in my old office in the summer AND winter)

I never thought I would miss having to lock the 2 different bathroom door becuase its a co-educational bathroom (very ali mcbeal of us..)

I never thought I would i miss the the old, but familiar smell of black mold

I never thought I would miss hitting pot holes the size of texas as i navigated the sprawling campus utilizing my own gas to get form place to place

I never thought I would miss getting drenched or snowed upon while traversing between complexes

I never thought I would miss working in a builiding which has a sketchy history and to which patients used to call "The Projects" , "The Snakepit" or "The Cages" when i first started to work there and where a staff member was actually killed (dont tell my mother that....it was a accident - things were much improved)

but alas, i do. I know that it is some how better we are in the newer place, but i am homesick for the old place. It had so much history, which is one of the things i loved the most about the non-descript hospital i work at.
oh well ,i guess time heals all wounds.

PS- nj gestapo, please dont arrest me for these comments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

and life will never be the same